Oh I so so love this time of year, looking back and looking forward. As is my tradition here on my blog, this is the first in a series of two posts. Every year has its highs and lows, it tears and joys. But the most important thing is to praise God through them all and thank Him for what He has done in our lives. So here is a quick summary of my 2019 (check out my plans and prayers from the start of the year here!):
- Becoming a School Governor. Early in 2019 I got a phone call out of the blue asking if I wanted to join the board of Governor’s at my son’s school. I didn’t even know what a governor did, but after a bit of research, prayer and contemplation I decided to step up to the role, and I am so glad I did. I have made new friends and colleagues on the governing body, as well as feeling like a part of the school in a way I wasn’t before. It’s been a steep learning curve, but such a rewarding one.
- Mummy Meditations New Website and Award. My aim for early 2019 was to get Mummy Meditations set up as a website in its own right and to give it a unique identity, separate to this blog and my random ramblings about life as a Christian Mum! Just after Easter I achieved this and it’s gone from strength to strength, even coming Runner Up in the Up and Coming Category at the Premier Digital Awards. My plan now is to truly make it a multi-author blog and to have new voices and writers join the team, to empower other mums in this season.
- New Job For Hubby. This year we really stepped out in faith and God delivered a new job for my husband at the Bible College he trained at. It hasn’t been plain sailing but he is definitely in the place God wants him, and there is a joy that comes with knowing that.
- ROME!!!!! Yes we FINALLY got round to our big trip to Rome. It was planned for our 30th Birthdays, then as a 10th Wedding Anniversary trip, and this year we made it. It was an amazing trip, and we saw so many great sights. All the saving up paid off. Now where to go next?!
- Two more rooms finished in our home. We have continued to crack on with DIY this year, as well as investing in the conversion of our garage into an en-suite bedroom and storage room. The boys bedroom got decorated in the summer whilst they were away and prep work in the hall/stairs/landing area has been slowly continuing. Bit by bit we are modernising this sixties house!
- Lodgers in and out. Following on from the garage conversion, we were able to welcome a new lodger into our home this September. We also said goodbye to our other lodger who had been able to save up to buy her own home! We love the hospitality of opening up our home to others, and being able to be a platform to the next stages of their lives.
- New Job For Me. Well this wasn’t on the books at all at the beginning of 2019. I was quite happy in my job at Teenage Cancer Trust. But unfortunately in September I got the news that my role was being made redundant. I am amazed by how God has used this sad news to bring even more joy, as I start the role of Youth, Children’s and Families Worker at the church in my local community, that is linked to the school I am a governor at. So although this hasn’t technically happened yet, it all got confirmed in 2019! Watch this space for more news on how I get on…..
- Northumberland. We went camping as a family up to Northumberland this summer, and enjoyed exploring the beaches, Holy Island and castles. I can highly recommend it as the beaches were beautiful and kept us entertained for hours.
- Joining NewLife. Another big change for us was moving churches this year. It wasn’t something we planned, but we felt God saying it was time for us to move on to somewhere new, and we always find family in church wherever we go. The pastors at NewLife in Scunthorpe have made us very welcome, and we’re looking forward to getting more involved there in the new year.
- Bible Journaling Opportunities. This year has seen lots more chances for me to run Bible Journaling Workshops, including monthly funshops in Doncaster. With my new job starting in January I’m not sure how much I’ll get to do this year, but its been lots of fun introducing people to creative worship this year.
Wow, that’s quite a list of things that I am praising and thanking God for this year! And I was thinking it had been quite an emotional and stressful year, but there really has been so much great stuff happen.
Things I didn’t get to do
The only plan I didn’t get to see through this year was going to Hillsong’s Colour Conference. Due to a ticket mix up I gave my place to someone else, but I’m booked to go again this year with some friends so hopefully that will happen!
Soundtrack to 2019
A new addition to this year’s post, but I felt like I wanted to share two songs that have impacted me hugely in 2019, and will forever be the soundtrack to this turbulent time.
My Verse of the Year
My word of the year for 2019 was “SERIOUS” and the verse that inspired that was the following:
“When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I’ll listen. When you come looking for me, you’ll fine me. Yes, WHEN YOU GET SERIOUS about finding me and want it more than anything else, I’ll make sure you won’t be disappointed” God’s Decree.” Jeremiah 29:12-14 (MSG)
After a rocky 2018 and not taking prayer and God seriously, I wanted to change that this year. In so many situations we have just had to have faith that God would work it out, to take Him seriously on His promises. And looking back now I can say with confidence that we have not been disappointed. This verse has been such a comfort and an inspiration to me this year, through job changes and consultation periods, and I have found that when I put things in God’s hands instead of mine, things work out much better. 2019 – you have been a true roller-coaster, but the ups have made the downs worth it.