We are eight days into the 2017 40acts generosity challenge for lent, and I thought it was about time I wrote an update on how we are all doing in Team Ridler! If you haven’t the caught our facebook live updates with Mummy and Sam then you are definitely missing out – watch them here!
This year has been so exciting for me as a mum, as Sam has really grown up since last year. He now understands the challenges, can remember them and is starting to make his own decisions to be generous. Every day there is a little story to be told of what we have been up to, and here are some of my highlights:
- finding an unopened chocolate bar on the ground and wanting to put it in his generosity kit rather than eat it!
- looking for pennies on the floor everywhere we go so that we can put them in his generosity box
- Sellotaping chocolate bars for the postlady and postman (and getting a note to say thank you)
- leaving chocolate hearts in the lockers at our local swimming pool and a man giving Sam his pound coin from the locker
- Sam making people laugh every day with his facebook live appearances!
- putting up a “take a compliment” poster at our local childrens centre and giving on of the dedicated workers there a special present.
- Giving books away via twitter for world book day
Summary of our time
Only eight days in and we’ve already had so much fun and learnt lots, but I am mostly overwhelmed by how much I am loving sharing this experience with Sam and being able to show him a bit of the Father’s heart. I read this verse this morning, and it sums it up for me:
“I tell you, love your enemies. Help and give without expecting a return. You’ll never – I promise – regret it. Live out this God-created identity the way our Father lives towards us, generously and graciously, even when we’re at our worst. Our father is kind, you be kind” Luke 6:35