I love putting up my Christmas decorations at the start of December. But I also love taking them down. It gives me the chance to clean and tidy ready for the New Year. Along with gathering up the decorations there are also a few other jobs I do to help when it gets to Christmas next year and to start the year off well:
- make present tags from old Christmas cards. Not only is this great recycling but it cuts my costs for next Christmas
- clear off sides and make new displays . Its easy for clutter to take over, so I take the chance to clear everything off and create some new displays with any new ornaments I get for Christmas and mixing up with older ones.
- take a trip to the charity shop. In January I am ruthless – anything not used or played with in the last year goes
- buy Christmas cards and wrapping paper. Reduced to next to nothing, now is the time to stock up ready for next year
- re-purpose fairy lights . I found some old Christmas lights that I don’t use anymore so decided that rather than pack them away for another year, I would use them to make a feature mirror in our hallway.
- change around you pictures and hang up new ones. This year I was treated to lots of new pictures for Christmas, so I spent a few hours deciding where to put them and changing round where old ones are hung. It is simple but changes your decor really quickly making your house feel fresh.
- spend a night with the diary. I am always amazed how much better I feel after spending a night planning in holidays/treats/when babysitters will be needed. I like to know how the year looks and make sure I plan in important places to go and people to see.
- decide on big projects and purchases for the year ahead. Make sure any spare income isn’t wasted but can be put towards things the family/house really need.
- share your wifi. We all know how addicted to our phones we are. So why not repurpose an unloved picture frame by displaying your wifi code. This stops the awkwardness of guests having to ask and will make them feel right at home.
Need more inspiration?
There are lots of hints and tips out there for tidying up in January (please do post your favourites below). If you want to make an even bigger clean up, then why not hop over to my friend Naomi’s blog and join in her organised life challenge this year – she is starting off in the kitchen!